Bugs, issues and special pleading: a cornucopia of caveats
I made the Mashificator to try out the Europeana alpha API. It was pretty much working by the time of the Open Data conference in October '10 but pretty flaky and ugly. I started to add in other APIs so as to give a choice of enrichment options and of content providers, and I did some work to refactor and make it useful as a blog widget and so on. It's gradually got better, but it's still very much a proof of concept. Here are some things I know is wrong, and some of them are things I may put right. Others probably aren't. Whatever, I want your feedback.
- Some pages don't like the bookmarklet
- I seem to be having problems with the carousel set to vertical scrolling in Firefox
- the bookmarklet results page looks pretty crap still. The carousel could do with a load more styling
- Museum Victoria items without images are showing as red crosses.
- Add geo analysis services
- Enable passing in styles or a stylesheet to page embedded in an iFrame
- Get PHM's images showing. This is a separate API call, so I need to do a bit of work here
- Add in Archive.org's API for content. It's chock full of amazing stuff, hooray! It's Lucene syntax, hooray! I haven't worked out image paths, boo!
- Document more of the bugs!
No plans to improve
- The look of these pages. Frankly, I've spent far too much time on it and this was meant to be a quick-n-easy demo... If IE8<9 can't do CSS rounded corners, character-before or body width, FFS, then hey ho, the workarounds are more pain than this is worth.
- My general attitude
I fixed it!
these pages look rubbish in IE
Powerhouse Museum's images aren't showing